Astoria, Oregon, is a city rich with history that should delight any visitor or historian alike. To soak up the history of this unique city, you should start in the heart of downtown Astoria, Oregon. That’s where you will find Astoria Riverwalk Inn, the best place to begin your vacation in Oregon. Before you pack your bags and head to Astoria, Oregon, here are some facts, history, and information about the city and the area.
- Astoria, Oregon, was established in 1810 and became a popular fur trading outpost.
- Several movies have been filmed in the city, including The Goonies, Free Willy, Short Circuit, Into the Wild, The Ring, Green Room, Kindergarten Cop, and many more.
- Speaking of movies, the Oregon Film Museum is located in Astoria, Oregon.
- The wreck of the Peter Iredale in 1906 can be seen in Fort Stevens State Park. The vessel got caught in a low tide and could never escape.
- The Astoria-Megler Bridge is the longest three-truss bridge in the world, just more than four miles long.
- Another way to learn about the history of Astoria, Oregon, is by visiting the Astoria Column. The 125-foot column includes multiple murals of the city’s and the area’s history.
- In 1883 and 1922, downtown Astoria was a victim of a large-scale fire.
- The Lewis and Clark Expedition made its way out to what is today the Astoria, Oregon, area.
Learn A Little About Astoria, Oregon
Not only is Astoria, Oregon, a beautiful city, but it’s also a place that has some interesting stories to tell and history. Learn more about this special place in Oregon by booking directly with Astoria Riverwalk Inn. Each of the Inn’s 114 rooms offers a deck with glorious views of the Columbia River. Guests can also enjoy in-room coffee and tea, free high-speed wireless internet, complimentary bicycles (during biking season), etc. Please check availability to book your Astoria, Oregon, getaway (or call us directly at 503-325-2013).